3 Big Kitties aka Mountain Lions Seen by Hiker

Crazy encounter with 3 mountain lions with “Pitownpi”. Check out his photos and captions here.

Related posts:

Newb on the Trail?
The San Gabriels - Excerpt #1
Historical San Gabriel Photos

Submit Article :- BlinkList + Blogmarks + Digg + Del.icio.us +

Tags: ,

This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 11th, 2010 at 10:55 am and is filed under Entertainment. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “3 Big Kitties aka Mountain Lions Seen by Hiker”

Derek (100 Peaks)

Derek (100 Peaks) August 11th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Kinda crazy, especially when hiking alone. I would have lamented leaving my DSLR with my 200mm zoom at home that day.

But aren’t they beautiful?

Pitownpi

Pitownpi August 12th, 2010 at 3:41 am

Yes, what an experience of a lifetime.
Camera in one hand and finally a rock in the other this Mom and two huge ‘kids’ turned the tables and decided to come visit my perched ridge location!

Pitownpi

Pitownpi August 14th, 2010 at 7:52 am

I had just Purchased a Cannon sureshot 120 for $180 dollars the night before! with 10x zoom,
been studying a good DSLR w/75/300 setup but everything gets trashed on adventures like this crawling through the brush on bear/lion trails, Wrestling manzanita, still picking thorns out days later, (easier to let them swell up a bit first). The sweat from one’s hands then leaves fingerprints melted into the plastic body of a camera!
Seems to me the money spent on a good pro quality camera may not be worth it for me????
You can almost treat the point and shoots as disposable and get shots like this.
I’ve had 3 Kodak 1285 easyshares that I hike with in my front pocket until now, the Canon is a bit larger but fits in front pocket…
My 300zoom/35mm old school simply is too large heavy and bulky to carry and ends up in my backpack, useless to get out in time, same as a nice DSLR w/zoom all packed away safely!!!!! I’ve tried to hang it from my chest…doesn’t work! gets hammered!
anyone out there got suggestions?
Pitownpi
Cat Whisperer….

Kirk

Kirk August 23rd, 2010 at 8:58 am

Amazing! Where was this?

Raphael

Raphael August 24th, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hey Pitownpi,

I have a Nikon d80. And it’s certainly a lot bigger and bulkier than my point-and-shoots (I’ve gone through several Cannon Powershots). But I have had more failures with point-and-shoots (heartbreaking ones, like when it erased all my photos from the John Muir Trail), so I actually think the SLR holds up better to the trail conditions than an automatic!

But I can’t argue with the fact that you got some amazing photos of a rare sight!

Seth

Seth August 26th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Great photos. Glad you could document this, and glad it wasn’t me…

Pitownpi

Pitownpi August 27th, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Hiya,
I just checked this post…..actually been carrying the Kodak easyshare and the cannon powershot for now. 10x optical ain’t bad, but … suppose I’ll have to step up one day. looked at some used/reconditioned stuff…one can only dream. I’m sure a D200 will hold up, but my bank account can’t…
maybe someone will sponsor me>? ha!!

I was surfing this week looking at what’s left of 8 toenails……had 10 last month!
and planning my next trip into the San Gorgonio Wilderness this coming week to enjoy the cool weather.
-Pi

Doug

Doug October 17th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Would love to see the other photos but the link to the photos/captions didn’t work (message appeared stating they are private). Is it possible to post the photos here? Also, am curious which mountain the lions were sighted at.

Zé

October 18th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

He blocked them, I think so people don’t know where they are at. Hunters, specifically.

Doug

Doug October 19th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.