Mt. Baldy Run to the Top Race

~ 7.5 miles uphill , 4000 ft gain

damn 6 minutes

Click for more stats & gps files

Two years ago I entered this race for the first time. In fact, I think it was the first race I’ve actually competed in since early high school. If only I had the training discipline then that I have now! In that race, I managed a 1:32 to the top, which included a wrong turn that put me back a minute or two. So this time, I figured if I could improve my fitness a little bit, maybe I could shoot for a 1:28.

My girlfriend and I woke up and got to the ski lift parking area around 6:30 am for the 8 am race. I would highly suggest getting there around this time because by 7am its a zoo with lots of time spent waiting to park your car. If you want an additional challenge, you could hike up from Icehouse canyon, like Cy who I saw hiking up the switchbacks to the ski lift.

Months ago, Rachel was planning on running the race, but some knee problems had her planning on just hiking up and watching. However, the thought of everyone else there racing but not her drove her crazy, so when I saw she had disappeared I knew she was signing up :)

We met up briefly with Steve, Pattie, Fernando and Iron Mike before the start of the race. Then it was on to the start. I didn’t even bother warming up.

At the start, there is about a 1/4 mile run downhill back to Manker Flats, which then turns uphill another 1/2 mile on paved road then onto dirt road. The scene at the beginning is somewhat amusing to me – watching all these people sprint down than run up the road way faster than they can maintain (at least most of them). I think a lot of people need to read this hiking science post! A few guys went from running to walk within a few minutes! Of course being the science doof / control freak I am, I had my heartrate monitor / Forerunner 305 on again to make sure to pace my heartrate. It really is hard to keep reasonable at first – adrenaline really makes you want to go much faster than you should.

The first 4.5 – 5 miles of this hike are steady fire road – just the way I like it. The first 3.7 up to Baldy Notch generally goes at around 9% grade, which for me means a nice slow running pace of 5.5 – 6 mph. I was able to keep my heartrate around 173-174 up to Baldy Notch. These were similar heartrates up to the Notch as what I did 2 years ago, but this year my time to the Notch was a minute or two longer, hmm.

From the notch, the fire road steepens to average about 12.5% grade, although it could vary from 10-20% in spots I believe. Last time, I remember my heartrate dropping below 170 in this section and I was keen to improve my pace. I ended up running more of it and keeping my heartrate around 175-176, so by the time I got to Devil’s Backbone, I felt like I was doing pretty well.

The trek along Devil’s Backbone and the final push up the steep east slope of Baldy are the last two sections of the race, and they require good tactics, which I may lack in racing. The backbone is single track with not much room to sidestep people, so what always happens is that you end up in the middle of a train of people. It’s too much energy to try to pass, so you just hope that the pace they maintain matches yours. On this occasion, I felt like the pace was okay…my heartrate dropped a few beats but nothing dramatic.

The backbone has a lot of trail “variance”…lots of changes in steepness going from running flat / jogging / hiking. These changes require excellent mental focus in deciding when to change pace so that your intensity is consistent. To me, the more changes, the harder it is to keep a good heartrate / intensity. I’m sure this is like that for others and probably why the “train” of runners I was in went at a pace that I thought was hard enough even though my heartrate dropped a little.

Finally we passed Mt Harwood and I was about 1:21 in…and I was somewhat pissed because I realized I wouldn’t get that 1:28. I continued up pushing at a good rate for about 2/3 of the way when I got to a relatively flat spot and saw the summit was another few hundred feet up. I was exhausted at this point. I noticed my calves teasing cramps and I pushed on. The last few minutes seemed to take forever! Finally I got near the summit and tried to run to finish it off…well I did run but my calves started cramping so I probably ran 20 seconds like I had a stick up my ass. 1:34 and change.

Somehow, I felt I gave a fuller, more intense effort but ended up with a slower time! I was pissed, but wait first I had to stretch out my calves. Ok now I was pissed! Wait I have to get some orange slices and sit down. Okay…what happened? Well two things changed against me since last race. 1) I didn’t sleep in my car at 6000 ft the night before, and 2) I gained 7-8 lbs up to 192 (at least it was muscle). Given my hiking at altitude the last 3 weeks, I really don’t think #1 had much weight, but I may be wrong. I’m quite sure #2 had an effect, but exactly how much is hard to say and worth a whole post in itself. Suffice to say there could have been a 4% increase in workload from 2008 to 2010. I probably burned around 1900 kcal in that run! So I am mad I went slower, but given I stayed around 90% of my max heart rate the entire race, I’m also happy. And it was fun either way.

A short time later, Zip came running up.

Then Rachel hauling ass getting in around 1:50. That’s without much running training nor any race preparation!

My camera was all sweaty being held in my hands – this was a partial shot of Iron Mike (on the right).

Fernando

Nice temps, another lovely day in the mountains.

Related posts:

Saddle & Calabasas Peaks, Topanga Lookout
Olancha Peak
Cucamonga, Etiwanda, & Bighorn Peaks

Submit Article :- BlinkList + Blogmarks + Digg + Del.icio.us +

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, September 6th, 2010 at 8:48 pm and is filed under Trip Report. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “Mt. Baldy Run to the Top Race”

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 7th, 2010 at 12:01 am

It’s a good time, considering the 8 pounds. I don’t know where on your body you added the muscles but I doubt you did it running. Think about it… That’s like putting a gallon of extra water in your pack!, gonna slow you down BIG time… and what are you trying to do look like lou ferigno??

Chenendez

Chenendez September 7th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

That’s a good time. Especially since you’re built like a beast. If you went on my muscle cutting & fasting program, you’d go 1 hr 5 min. Easily. No problem. You need a trail name. You’re the Ukraine Train.

Zé

September 7th, 2010 at 8:12 pm

not running, but just from weightlifting. probably more on the legs (leg press, squats, etc…) but basically just dead weight for running. but didn’t try to tear up rolled newspapers like you!

@Che – is that the bulimic diet you’re on? Ukraine Train would be interesting, if I was Ukrainian. Time to get back to the drawing board, report back with a new one soon.

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 8th, 2010 at 5:09 am

not tearing up rolled newspapers. crushing em!
(Take one full sheet, not a half sheet, by the corner between your thumb and pointer finger, and hold it out away from your body and anything else. Straight out to the side, in mid air. Then start crunching away at it, and keep your arm and hand away from touching anything, [everybody gets frustrated after a while and presses it against their leg, table or a wall... that's CHEATING!] until it’s COMPLETELY crushed like a tennis ball with no loose parts hanging outside between your fingers. A nice smooth round ball. Then, DO IT AGAIN!, right away until you get up to 10 on each hand.) You wanna talk about burn?? oh yeah.

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 8th, 2010 at 12:27 pm

and another thing. From now on when talking about, around, in reference to, in forums, when you are involved I am going to use the word ze in place of the word the. For example, Instead of “Smokey the Bear, it would be Smokey Ze Bear…
I hope it catches on… LOL

Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz September 8th, 2010 at 2:15 pm

After double of the skyline.
This should have been walk in a park for you.

Chenendez

Chenendez September 8th, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Fight On, me thinks we’ve met before. I know of only 2 “Fight On”s on the west coast, so if you’re sporting the red Osprey, I’ve got my warrior. I salute your dedication to the Wilson Trail. I don’t have your patience for the meat market crowds below Orchard camp.

How about “Eastern Beastern”? You’re part Asian right Ze? Whatever. Doesn’t matter. Just say you are. Sounds better.

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 9th, 2010 at 3:37 am

Well, sometimes I wear ze red osprey, sometimes I wear ze blue 1980′s book bag and sometimes I wear ze green hornet. But I always am wearing ze dirty girl gaiters! Never have to stop because of ze stupid rocks in ze shoes, eh?

Zé

September 9th, 2010 at 11:00 am

I feel like I’m in troll heaven (or hell?)

Che and Fight On know each other. what a surprise

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 9th, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Who is Che? I talk to everybody when I hike. He must not have been wearing anything unusual otherwise I would have taken his picture. Like I did when I saw the nipple dude. Had to take his picture! Little did we know that his nipple would end up on top of Old Baldy. What an honor!

Chenendez

Chenendez September 9th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Where the motor vehicles don’t go, they call me Magnum. Heavy and with unparalleled force. Slow, but stupendously powerful.

You may not have noticed me on the trail, for I am fond of wearing camo. Blending with the background. In and out. Leave no trace. Disappear. Me is curious and wants to know. What are you fighting? For whom are you fighting for? And if you completed BadenPowell-Iron-Baldy in one day, would you continue to fight?

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 24th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

too hot? thought I heard someone mention it’s too hot to hike this weekend!? not for me! (note to self, be back by noon to watch the mighty USC TROJAN FOOTBALL TEAM GO 4-0! FIGHT ON!

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 28th, 2010 at 7:48 am

DUDE! I just saw that vidy of the incline 8 mhp u tube thing… Those guys were “PUSHING” you! That’s cheating!!!!!!!!!! WHAT, EVERRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Zé

September 28th, 2010 at 2:00 pm

haha point is to get a max value, ya silly. stick to bricks!

FIGHT ON

FIGHT ON September 28th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

ya oughta change yer name to Dorando Pietri, he did ze exact zame zing! Such a shame!

Dani

Dani September 30th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I thought I had done some heavy hiking but this is great. How did you train for this?

Jim G

Jim G August 25th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Big dudes can do this race. I am 197 pounds and got up it in 1:30….50th overall. I am doing it again this year and hope to break 1:28.